Tuesday 28 October 2014

Vintage Desk - what a find!

Sometimes you find a great piece that looks fantastic but turns out to have a lot of issues!
This is what my Big Issue looks like now




And this is what she looked like when I purchased her...



She seemed to be quite old as she had lovely original wooden pulls built in for knobs on each drawer





After we picked her up and got her home there was a lot of damage and moving parts underneath, all of the original mahogany wood was in great condition but the stays, runners and drawer bottoms were not. So we pulled the underneath apart, replaced all of the bottoms and now she can work her magic as a vintage desk again. There is a lot of detail in the piece so I wanted to paint her quite organically to capture the old vintage feel to her shape and to look as if she had been painted a long time ago and was loved and used.  I have not painted a desk before and hopefully there is a market for desks in my area  as I really enjoyed hunting out for one and painting her. Let me know what you think of her?





Carla, pp villa design


No comments:

Post a Comment